Monday, June 2, 2008

A Kale-y Good Morning!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here. I will accompany it by videoblogging when my camera arrives, so anyone can see my journey.

I am Jenni. I am a 39 year old office worker, living in the Bay Area in Northern California. I live with my amazing hubby and our two cats. He is a teacher and also puts out Big Ole Face Full of Monster, our fun horror magazine that you can check out at www.gomonstergo.com.

So why am I here blogging, and why is my blog called "Rawk You Like a Hurricane"? Many reasons. I've been very fat for most of my life. As I march into middle age, I want to get healthier and we want to get pregnant. I've been venturing into some raw foods, inspired by the beauteous Bunny Berry at http://bunnyberry.blogspot.com/, Philip McClusky at www.lovingraw.com and a few others. Some how my interest was peaked after reading something from the Anarchist Book Fair this year and finding these two websites.

I'm not 100% raw, and I don't know if I will be. But I lose weight and feel good when I eat more raw foods. For the second time, I am using the Green Smoothie Challenge to challenge myself as I start. You can check it out at http://www.greensmoothiechallenge.org/. Nothing to buy, just nice people helping other people get healthy, two weeks at a time. I started it last week, but missed two days, and started again yesterday. Yesterday's smoothie was two big handfuls of beautiful salad greens from the farmer's market that included edible flowers, a peeled orange and two bananas, whirred up with a splash of water. It looks awful, but tastes good, and gets you through your math homework on a Sunday afternoon!

Today's smoothie is a handful of kale, a banana and a half a handful of frozen mango, with a splash of water. Not as tasty, but makes me feel good. If you don't have a fancy expensive blender like the vita-mix, kale can be hard to blend entirely well. My magic bullet does the job, but there are little bits of kale floating around.

And it's called Rawk You Like a Hurricane because the Scorpions do indeed rock. Have a healthy day everyone. More tomorrow!

Jenni

2 comments:

Anand said...

Go for it Jenni, you are awesome! I look forward to hearing more from you. Blessings Anand

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenni,

I look forward to reading your bolg. My sister and I are also using this month to get ready to a 100 Raw food Challeng with Bunny Berry. I'm also hoping to do some vlogs and I'm looking into getting a camera as well

Danieal
http://2rawsisters.blogspot.com/