Thursday, March 18, 2010

Salty Success!



I am not a great veggie eater. I like some veggies very much, others not at all. Kale and I had lately made friends by way of the green smoothie (kale, frozen mango, water, blend, delicious!). But cooked greens? Hate them.

Late last year, I was lucky enough to be invited to a small, excellent raw foods potluck. The hostess had made kale chips in her dehydrator. I had heard of these, lots of people make them, and you can even buy them packaged. They sounded horrible. They tasted great! A salty snack with no bad ingredients, based on a green veggie??

I had wanted to make some myself, but I was afraid I would mess them up. And my dehydrator is not very good. Today I finally made some of my own, and baked them in the oven. I consulted several online recipes, then did this variation of my own.

Soak four big curly kale leaves in a bowl of water. Kale can be super dirty. Rinse and dry them. Tear leaves away from the stem, and tear them in to bite size pieces. Put them in a bowl with one teaspoon olive oil, juice of half a lemon, a sprinkle of salt (I like hawaiian red salt), and a generous sprinkle of spice of your choice. I love Raw Parma Chipotle. Spread on a baking dish. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Check them and realize they have started to burn. Turn oven down to warm, cook for five more minutes. Eat them and be delighted that they seem to fit the potato chip sized hole in your brain.

This makes one big serving.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I am shocked and tempted! this sounds really interesting. way to be brave with healthy food!